Saturday, October 3, 2015

Distributive property basics

Hey everyone! My friend happen to struggle with the distributive property! So I am going to help her out like I promised =)
Here is the tutorial!!!

The Distributive property Tutorial!

Problem: Use the distributive property to solve the equation below.

2(x+4)=6

Step 1: So you look at this problem and you're probably thinking it's too hard! Well my teacher told me PEMDAS (A.K.A. please excuse my dear aunt sally) except it more hard! You multiply 2 by the variable and 4.
my work: 2*x= 2x and 2*4=8
2x+8=6

Step 2: Okay after you multiply what's in the parentheses by 2 you combine the like terms. What I mean by that is you subtract.
My work: 6-8=-2 (Negative 2)
2x=-2

Step 3: Almost done! All we have to do is divide! If you don’t know how to divide a negative and positive all you do is ignore the negative sign and add it later! After you divide you will get the solution to x!
My work: 2 divided by -2= -1
Therefore x=-1

All done! See it wasn’t hard! multiply what's in the parentheses and combine like terms then divide!
Well I hoped this helped!
~Be yourself blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment